Saturday, December 31, 2005

A quiet last night

I just rubbed some Vick's VapoRub on Bean's rattly little chest in the hopes that those powerful fumes will sear some breathing space through her congested baby nostrils. And then I, strangely, felt a feeling of relaxation and contentment steal over me for no apparent reason. I think I must have some sort of smell association with Vick's VapoRub from when my mom used to smear it on my own little chest as a child. Funny how those things can come out of the blue sometimes.

Bean is sick with a bad cold so I'm staying home with her tonight while Husband goes out to a friend's house for a few drinks and some social time with his guy friends. I don't mind a bit--in fact, I encouraged him to go because I think he could probably use a little time away from the house and all of us. My New Year's Eve is going to consist of the following: finishing this post with a tasty raspberry vodka collins, breathing deeply of the baking apple-streusel pie aroma wafting out of my kitchen at the moment, watching episodes of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" all by my lonesome, and...well, that's it, actually. Personally, I'm feeling like it's a damn good way to close out the old year.

I've been visiting my usual favorite blogs lately and it seems that everyone is waxing introspective and making resolutions right and left. I find myself in just that kind of mood tonight, too. My life is very, very good at the moment, and I am very, very grateful for that DAILY. I sometimes think to myself that I'll look back on these years with Husband and young children and know that they were the sweetest of my life. I wouldn't change a thing. Well, o.k., maybe ONE thing, but more on that tomorrow, if I have time between chopping collards, making country ham biscuits, and simmering black-eyed peas for our guests. In the meantime, I hope all of you out there have a gratifying end to your old year and a cheerful, inspiring beginning to your new. Happy New Year!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was a country song out about ten or more years ago with the line "ain't it funny how a melody can bring back memories, take you to another place and time..."

Melodies will definitely do that for me, but not nearly so much as scents will. The other day I caught a whiff of perfume I wore way back in the 9th grade. I could feel myself instantaneously change, even if only for a moment, back into that self-conscious yet hopeful girl. Not a bad feeling, but it reminded me how glad I am to be an adult now!

Happy New Year, Sugarmama!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I hope Bean is feeling much better! We've all (except for my oldest) been sick for the past few weeks, so I know how it troubles a mom!

Anonymous said...

ahhh, the vicks vaporub. . . the memories of cool stickiness!! my mother used to try that for us as well when we were stuffy. though, when i was a little older (10 or so) and had a bad cough and/or sore throat and i was apparently keeping her up at night (and myself), she would come into my room, rouse me out of bed, drag me into the kitchen and pour me a shot of bourbon.
i kid you not - that was the fix for a hacking cough and sore throat. never cured me, but sure as hell let me get some sleep. i wonder if that has anything to do with my love of bourbon today. . .
sorry i'm missing out on all the fun at your house - HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it's psychological or what, but I still use Vicks (on myself) when I have a bad cough that nothing else will touch. I even keep it from messing up my pjs with a cloth diaper, much as my mom did when I was small. Makes me feel like I am 5 again.

Your New Year's Eve plans sound perfect. I didn't make it to midnight, myself, but I was fine with that -- we had a quiet night at home.

Hope Bean feels better soon.

cubmommy said...

I hope Bean is feeling better today!

Happy New Year!! I wish you the best in 2006. Thank you for being a friend!

We stayed home and went to bed early but Little Cubby woke up at midnight on the dot I think he wanted to ring the New Year with his mommy.