Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Snapping out of it

Bean woke up...God, it had to have been at least 10 times last night, and I am NOT exaggerating. It was one of those nights where we just lost count after awhile. This morning, it turns out, she is coming down with something snotty, so that explains it.

Sister had lice, but the nurse at school cleared her this morning. It only took a big bottle of stinky shampoo and thorough combing of her thick locks with not one fine-toothed lice comb, but two. They BETTER have been all gone.

All the potentially lice-y--or lousy?--bedding has been washed with hot water and is hanging up in the sun this morning to dry. The possibly lousy stuffed animals and pillows have all been bagged up and sealed to slowly suffocate whatever might be in there over the next 10 days. There are a few choice stuffed animals in the freezer, 'cause apparently that kills them quicker. Combs and clips have been boiled. The list of all the extra house-cleaning chores I've had to do in the last 18 hours goes on and on.

I should be exhausted and in a hateful mood, but I'm not. Know why? I just busted out Husband's electric drill a few minutes ago and drilled about 100 holes in a big, black, plastic garbage cart, ushering in its new life as my compost bin. There's nothing quite like using power tools to bring back the sense that I am the mistress of my destiny, especially because this is a task that I had diplomatically delegated to Husband last week--you know, since it involved power tools and all. (Though I'm quite competent at using a number of them my own damn self, thanks. And do use them, if I feel I've been waiting too long for a request to be fulfilled. Man, does that ever get Husband hopping over the next couple of days to get stuff done! FYI.)

Anyways, if y'all ever have one of those out-of-control weeks, think power tools. I'm telling you. Go drill some shit and your life will be all yours again!

13 comments:

Mommygoth said...

Right on, girl! I too, feel the power when I take on a task that would traditionally not be mine. Glad Sister's back at school, and also kind of glad I haven't seen you guys this week - LOL!

Melzie said...

my head itches now... man!

Anonymous said...

Oh, no! Lice, a cold, AND lack of sleep, all on one day? That stinks. Hope all in your household are well again soon. As for the compost, I really should put something together soon. Love your idea for making a compost bin!

Jess Riley said...

That is one heck of a motto: "Go drill some shit and your life will be all yours again!"

I would love to see that on a bumper sticker or motivational poster.

Piece of Work said...

Oh no,lice! What a pain in the hair! Glad the power tools helped you get over it.

j.sterling said...

power tools fucking rock! don't you feel like a bad ass? lol

cubmommy said...

Yesterday was a bad day I could have used power tools.

Anonymous said...

I dread the day one of my kids comes home with that. YUCK!

Rachelle said...

LOL! I'm getting me out some power tools.

Mama D said...

I totally think I need to do that. Gotta love when you do something that you asked them to do and then they get all hurt and sensitve about it. Like "You think I'm lazy?" YES!! At least that's how I feel! Glad to hear the lice problems are all solved.

Dawn said...

So it was a light infestation? That is good.

Power tools? Hmmmmmm. I think I might have to look around. Something has to need new holes....

Julie Marsh said...

Lice? Oh man, that has to suck. I hope they're all gone now.

Amber said...

ooh- so far we've avoided lice. But my kiddo is only in 1st grade- I'm sure it'll hit us sometime. I fear for that day.