Monday, March 20, 2006

Finally

Husband is at long last done with having to travel to Atlanta every weekend to deal with his parents' estate. The house now officially belongs to a young, childless couple, empty of 35+ years of Husband's parents' accumulated stuff. Everything is either here at our house, sold at the estate sale, or in boxes in a storage unit, with a couple of furniture items in long-term storage with Husband's uncle in Tennessee. My dear spouse really needs a break now, and is going to take one. While he does need to go through the boxed things that are in storage at some point, right now he's going to take some much-needed time to just relax at home and hang out with me and baby Bean and Sister.

I really need a break, too, I have to admit. I've been reluctant to say to Husband just how stressed out I've been with him gone nearly every weekend for the last 2 months, leaving me here alone with the kids for 3 or 4 days each time. It's been very hard on us here, though I felt that to tell him so would only add to his heavy mental load. I reached my personal limit this weekend, but managed not to completely wig out on him when he returned last night because I knew that this was going to be the last time. I just managed it. Came this close (holding thumb and forefinger just millimeters apart)...

So there it is. We can get on with normal life again, I think, though I almost forget what that feels like. It's been a loooooong 2 months, y'all.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can relate a little. I was recently married (6 month anniversary just pased), and when we were married we moved into my grandmother's old house which was built in the 50's. There was so much history and plain junk in that house, we'll still be cleaning out the attic for another year.

While this was just down the road and not in another state, I totally understand being worn out from dealing with an estate.

Mama D said...

Glad to hear things are going to get back to normal for your family. Dealing with that sort of thing is hard, hard, hard. Hope you both feel rested and back to yourselves again soon!

Undercover Angel said...

It will be nice for you having your husband at home more now. Dealing with the estate must have been hard for him, and I can understand your frustration, but now you guys get move on and get back to normal.

Dawn said...

Those stretches of single parenting are H-A-R-D.Added with the stress of the death and sorting of posessions?

Sounds like two adults need a little weekend get away - together.

devilishsouthernbelle.net said...

Yay for getting back to life as you know it. I know it's hard with it being just you and the kids....been there, done that many, many times.

Lei said...

Way to perserveare!

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

I am glad he is home and life can start getting back to normal. Whatever normal is!!! And you deserve a break!!! Maybe WITH your husband!

Dani said...

Good for you...I'm glad this phase of the estate is behind you and you can start to take time for yourselves again.

Mommygoth said...

You are a kinder person than I am, as I have spent the last 10 months bitching at D about being gone all the time. Of course, if one of his parents had died I might be a little kinder, but for a crap job that doesn't pay well it didn't seem worth it. I totally know how frustrated, tired, and isolated you must have been feeling - I'm so sorry I haven't been around more - it's been kind of a crap time around here too with the cancers and the funerals and the like. Let's hear it for a (hopefully) normal, tranquil, and husband-full summer, yes? And sangria on your back porch????