Monday, August 27, 2007

Home is where the barf is

Sister and I are home from Savannah now after a lovely time spent walking the historic district together, eating really fantastic Vietnamese food, and enjoying ghost stories on a nighttime horse-drawn carriage tour. We had the best time in each other's company that we've had in I can't remember how long, nearly completely free of complaining and temper tantrums on her part and bitchy mama-ness on mine. Until we got to the airport, that is. Then Sister began to decline rapidly, not handling the transition back to regular life very well. While she'd managed being on her feet for seven hours straight with only a lunch break walking around in Savannah, standing in line for 10 minutes for a burrito in the Atlanta airport was just more than she wanted to do. At least I had some good sleep behind me so that I could handle it well--10-1/2 hours the first night and 9 hours the second night. Just that alone would've made it totally worth it for me.

We got home yesterday to a house that wasn't nearly as trashed as I'd anticipated it would be with Husband and Bean on their own for a few days. Clearly Husband had made an effort to tidy before I got home, which I appreciated a lot. But the transition back home wasn't all smooth. Bean woke up feverish in the middle of the night last night to vomit up her skimpy dinner. She's still feverish today, though thankfully the barf hasn't made a reappearance. She's definitely feeling pretty bad, though, and doesn't want to do anything more right now than curl up under a blanket next to me on the sofa to watch recorded episodes of Sesame Street. She's eaten only 2 slices of watermelon and a grape popsicle today, and as far as I'm concerned she can eat nothing but watermelon and popsicles today if she wants. Mild, slightly sweet stuff that will keep her hydrated and cool and that contain some calories at least. My poor girl.

So I'm in for a quiet day today, catching up on emails and trying to plan the meeting I'm holding for the parents of Sister's Girl Scout troop on Wednesday. (Why am I already not surprised that fully half of the parents haven't responded to the email I sent out early last week?)


Beth said...

Poor Bean!! Poor baby girl...that stinks to come home to a sick baby after your great weekend with Sister.

And what a weekend, huh? Sounds perfect...I might have to plan one of those myself!

Joan said...

When I went to Charleston last fall, I had a fit when I got home. The house was a mess. There were even a bunch of dead leaves in the kitchen. Glad you had a good trip. Sorry about the little one being sick. My daughter has decided not to continue with scouts though I haven't told her leader yet.

Nikkie said...

Boor Bean, and her poor mama! I'm glad you had a good trip. Thats great that your husband made an attempt to be tidy. Mine totally wouldn't have.

cubmommy said...

There is some stomach flu going around. Both boys have had it. Not sure if Ladybug has it because she spits up all the time anyway. I am so sick of vomit. Good news that it seems to only last a day at least it did for each boy.