Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Season change, menu change

I hear that the upper Midwest has freezing temperatures heading their way this week. It was 96 degrees here yesterday and I'm SO jealous of 30 degree nights in mid-September! Still, I'm joyous at the prospect of temperatures in the 70's come Friday here in NC, with nights in the mid-50's. Finally, a break both for me and all my dying plants! I'm so frigging tired of being hot.

Cooler temperatures aren't all great news, though. This morning I made the girls and I some oatmeal for breakfast. (Husband was out on another of his daily morning runs, in training now for a marathon in early November.) Oatmeal sounded like a cozy, wholesome idea but doesn't oatmeal always sound way better than it actually tastes, no matter how much brown sugar and cinnamon you sprinkle on it? And as far as I'm concerned, that goes for all the rest of the food in season this time of year. The tomatoes, corn, watermelon, and berries that I gorge on in the hot months are of course still available in the grocery stores but are mushy and mealy or sour and seedy, all around unappealingly yucky not to mention expensive all of a sudden since you have to pay for their air fare from Costa Rica or wherever the hell.

So 'tis the season for kale, winter squash, broccoli, sweet potatoes, cabbage, and cauliflower. All good for you but...meh. Maybe summer isn't so bad after all.

1 comment:

Angel said...

It is 45 degrees here this morning! I had to turn my heat on! WAAAAAA!!! :( 69 in NC....I think you are too spoiled and need to visit me in Ohio! ;)

I made beef stew the other day...time for soups and stews and biscuits and bread....all the "heavy" stuff.

I think I'd rather be eating berries and watermelon.