Monday, October 30, 2006

Scary

It's been a pretty shitty day today. I got a call from one of the midwives at the birth center about the fact that I tested positive as a carrier for cystic fibrosis. Now Husband has to get tested to determine if he is, too. If he isn't, there's little to no chance that our baby will be born with the disease. If he is, then the baby has a 25% chance of being born with it. I immediately called Husband after hanging up with the midwife and burst into tears when he answered the phone. My thought was not of this baby in my belly, but of Bean who exists already. I now think I needn't have worried about her, because in reading descriptions of cystic fibrosis on-line today it looks as if Bean would already be a sickly child indeed if she'd been born with it. Still, both she and Sister have a 50% chance of being carriers themselves, and now I have to fear for any children they give birth to in the future as well as this new baby of mine.

Then again, I may not have to think about this new sibling because--as if the threat of cystic fibrosis wasn't enough--I'm spotting today, and have been since 5:00 am. I haven't had cramps so I have no way of knowing what the hell is going on, and neither do the midwives. I just have to wait and see, and in the meantime I'm pretty freaked out about it all.

Part of me also sees the irony in being so freaked out recently about the prospect of having this third baby so soon. Now I'm just worried that I won't.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with you. I'll be thinking of you and your family

Mall Worker said...

I'm so sorry. I'm sending postive thoughts your way.

Suzanne said...

Keeping you in my thoughts, and sending virtual hugs across the Internet.

cubmommy said...

I will be keeping you in my prayers. I am so sorry you got some bad news. It is very scary the first three months of pregnancy. With of the emotions I know how you feel. I hope everything will be ok. Let me know if anything changes.

Mama D said...

That is scary news. I'm sorry that you are going through this it must be a big shock and a worry. I hope everything works out fine as I'm sure it will.

Try to relax as much as you can. I'm sure the stress isn't helping.

I would feel the same way. Worried about having a baby so soon and then worried that I wouldn't be.

I'll be thinking of you guys.