Wednesday, August 27, 2008

New routine

This first week back to school is just dragging. I really was surprised to realize this morning that it's only Wednesday. If felt like at least the beginning of next week.

One bright side to the new back-to-school routine is that I've begun setting my clock for half an hour earlier than Sister's wake-up time. So I'm getting up at 6:00 and my only goal is to have a cup of tea in solitude before anyone wakes up needing me. It makes me very grumpy to have to be on as soon as I get up--and sometimes before I get up if I bring the baby into bed with me, and then Bean gets in bed with us and wants to mess with Sweet P, and then the dog begins whining downstairs when he realizes people are waking...

Quiet and solitude are so rare for me these days and I've always been the kind of person who needed a lot of time alone. I'm sure I'd be a much better mama and much nicer person in general if I could just figure out how to get more of that. 6:00 waking is a start. My mom used to get up at 4:30 in the morning when I was a kid, but I don't think I'm quite that desperate yet!

3 comments:

cubmommy said...

I have been waking up at 6 AM also to have quiet time and enjoy a cup of coffee before everybody wakes up for the day. I need it for my sanity.

Unknown said...

I LOVE me time. And it's so hard with little ones, especially if you nurse. I mean, you CAN'T have any me time. But when it comes, it is the best.

Mama D said...

I'm pretty sure I will never be desperate enough to get up at 4:30. I think I'd just jump off a bridge instead! :)

I am missing the quiet time too. But I'm trying to remind myself it won't last forever...just feels like it.