Friday, August 29, 2008

Friday morning

I backed up my wake up time to 5:45 today since Sweet P seems to be on an earlier wake up schedule herself. If only I hadn't had to pack Sister's lunch this morning instead of last night I would've had a lovely bit of just mama time...

This first week back to school has been a real bummer, to use a phrase dating from my own school days. I've already had Sister's teacher call me to express her concern over my daughter's near-constant fidgeting--yes, already! I found myself wanting to advise Sister to just start biting her nails like I used to do, but instead had her make herself a "stress ball" to squeeze under her desk. It's just a balloon filled with rice and tied off and is pleasantly squeeze-y. Sister herself told me that she can't just sit there with her hands quietly resting on her desk, that she needs something for them to do. I can definitely relate, so here's hoping the rice-filled balloon will fix everything. If someone recommends she be medicated to keep her focused in school, I will seriously consider homeschooling her.

My goodness, what grim thoughts for lovely mama time!

Some things I'm looking forward to this weekend: getting some sleep so I can kick this cold that isn't helping with my record-high grumpiness level; having brunch with a couple friends; doing some sewing; and having Husband home!

Birds are beginning to sing now, though the dog is still snoring in his crate...

7 comments:

Joan said...

Last year (5th) was really tough for my daughter. She had enough of elementary school.
I think half the kids and teachers issues in the classroom would be solved if the kids were allowed more free play.

marcy harriell | oonaballoona said...

what a great idea, i wish i had a stress ball when i was a kid. i always needed to do something-- in the second grade i was lucky enough to sit at the desk that held my teacher's plants, and i created little furniture pieces out of notebook paper for the ants that congregated there. (of course i don't remember learning anything in the second grade.)

meds be damned, man.

marcy harriell | oonaballoona said...

by the way, i just saw this:

http://emandthegang.blogspot.com/2008/08/hello-blogland.html

i'm not sure how i feel about getting graded on behavior, but em talks about how proud her daughter is when she has a "green" day... anyway, thought you might find it interesting.

Sugarmama said...

Hey, Oona, thanks for that link! Oddly enough, she's actually in my neck of the woods, down the road about 45 minutes.

Unknown said...

Great idea for a stress ball! I may have to make one for me!

But let's hope it doesn't get caught on a screw or something and fling rice all over the place!

Angel said...

oh here we go.....homeschool her if you have to. Why does everyone want to just druf their kids up? My one kid DOES take medicine, or he did last year, to help him concentrate....but that was after a LONNNGGGGGG time of testing and crap. I don't even think he needs it this year...we'll see.

But do what you ahve to do. That's a really good idea of the rice thingie...see, you ARE a kick ass mom!!!

cubmommy said...

Sorry to hear about your week. Great idea about the rice stress ball.