Friday, November 24, 2006

Rode hard...

This house has seen some hard use in the last 48 hours and I have this feeling it's about to come down around our ears. There are smudged cabinets and sticky knobs. Smears of unidentifiable stuff going up the banisters in the stairway. Stained linens, bruised fruit, damp bathrooms, slimy flowers in vases, pine needles ground into rugs, cat barf we keep discovering in hidden corners, a broken screen door, a muddy porch flooor, a cooler out in the yard covered in mud and filled with used turkey brine. And the worst of all, a leaky pipe upstairs that drips through the ceiling onto the floor outside the pantry, a product of some novel way that Husband's nephew takes his showers that otherwise doesn't occur when, for example, we give the girls their bath there.

Ugh. Thanksgiving was lovely, but I have to admit I'm looking forward to giving our poor, over-used house a rest.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can relate. I discovered during our meal, I had sweet potatoes in my hair. I didn't clear out enough when my daughter was using the mixer. Happy Holidays to you. Best wishes for your house!

Angel said...

wow....you had a housefull!!! Now comes the clean-up, which is the worst part.

Are you one of those people who put up Christmas stuff the day after Thanksgiving? I'm kind of a scrooge when it comes to that, but this year, I'm kinda feelin it!

Happy cleaning!

Lauren D. McKinney said...

I hear ya. I just discovered some slimy flowers in vases about ten minutes ago . . . .

Mama D said...

Seriously. It needs a rest. And I'm sure you do as well. Any chance of hiring a clean up crew?