Friday, February 03, 2006

Normal life returning

First off, I want to thank everyone out there for their warm condolences and thoughts. I wasn't able to actually read any of your comments til today, but they gave me nice prickles just the same. Funny that can happen when I haven't ever even laid eyes on the vast majority of you, but it did. My sincere thanks to you all. It's nice to be back.

Husband finally came home from Atlanta last night, and I was so excited to see him. And not just because he was bringing the laptop back home either. I missed my husband sorely indeed. This house and our lives in it aren't the same without him.

Actually, our lives have changed quite dramatically over the past week and a half even without his long absence. Husband will likely be away for all weekends over the next month and a half as he and various relatives--and me sometimes--converge in Atlanta to work on the house. There's a deadline, too, since there's already a contract on the house with a closing date of St. Patrick's Day. Makes it a bit more stressful having a deadline, but on the other hand not having to deal with selling a house from out of state will be worth the pressure, I think. The hot Atlanta real estate market is a blessing to them right now.

There's quite a lot of stuff to sort through in that house. Husband's parents were married for more than 35 years, if I remember correctly, and you can amass quite a number of material possessions in that time if you're not paying attention. His mother died of cancer 4 years ago and they culled some things then, but Husband's father dabbled in painting, sketching, photography, and poetry. This means that Husband must painstakingly go through his father's artifacts and try to make a judgment about what should be kept. It won't be easy for my sentimental, packrat spouse. And it's not the kind of task you can delegate to just anyone, including me.

So there's that. And then there's this doggie I mentioned. (Somehow, I can't break myself of calling him "doggie" rather than dog. He's quite small.) Sister and Bean are both ecstatic at the new addition to the household. Our 2 cats are terrified. And I'm NOT looking forward to the long days ahead of me filled with naps interrupted by non.stop.barking.and.crying as we keep him temporarily isolated from the cats. Otherwise, he's a nice doggie and I'm sure he'll settle in nicely one of these days. Well, somewhat sure. Cautiously optimistic, maybe. You know, trying to be a good sport and all.

But dammit, it's hard when he wakes up Bean after a VERY short morning nap! Like he just did. So I've gotta go already.

I'll get caught up on everyone else's blogs soon. I hope. One of these days, maybe...

6 comments:

Mommygoth said...

I just knew you would have already posted as soon as you got that computer back in your hot little hands. I'm glad Husband's back, and I can't wait to meet doggie. Miss K will be beside herself with joy!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear normal life is returning somewhat. Take care of yourself in the next few weeks -- working your way through a household can be physically and emotionally tiring for all involved.

Jess Riley said...

Say, you should look into one of those bark collars that emits a burst of pressurized air whenever doggie barks. We have one for Daisy, and though she hates it, it truly works. (Much more humane & effective than a shock collar, IMHO.) Also, when she barks now w/o wearing the collar, all we have to say is, "Bark collar!" and she's quiet. Magic, I tell you.

Ortensia Norton said...

That's the beauty of blogs...they are always there, ready to be read when you have time. Good luck as these next couple months unfold and as you finalize everything. Take care, ok?

Anonymous said...

hey - welcome back! glad to hear everything is as good as it can be under the circumstances. and can't wait to meet your new fuzzy friend. . . i love schnauzers!! charlie completely sleeps through our dog's barking; he didn't at first, but now he's used to it and the noise doesn't seem to affect him much at all - maybe that will happen in your house too?
look forward to catching up with you soon!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back... hope all goes as well as it can for the next few weeks. Take care.