Monday, March 17, 2008

Town and country

Yesterday, Husband and I took the little girls to Saxapahaw, a very tiny town on the Haw River that's about a 20 minute drive from our house in Chapel Hill. It was a field trip of sorts to check out a renovated mill building that Husband and his business partner are considering for the site of Spoonflower. (I mentioned his new business venture awhile back. It's really cooking along all of a sudden.)

Saxapahaw was empty, there being no downtown to speak of and it being the hour when most God-fearing Southerners are in church. We're not particularly God-fearing, so we took a stroll down to the river. I sat at a picnic table and nursed Sweet P while Husband took Bean further down to chuck rocks in the water.

As Sweet P and I sat there together I realized I couldn't hear a thing but the water rushing by, birds in the trees, and the distant voices of Husband and Bean playing. I just sat there nursing and quiet.

When Sweet P had a nice bellyful, we walked down to where Husband and Bean were and I said to Husband, "I know how we can get the first round of funding for Spoonflower. Let's sell our house in Chapel Hill and use part of the equity to put a down payment on a house here and the rest to get Spoonflower going."

We talked about this a little, a new mortgage, business loans, venture capitalists being involved, etc. The one thing neither of us questioned was the trade-off between good Chapel Hill schools for the girls and a life with abundant time spent outdoors in the woods and fields and by a river for them.

Would I really trade our townie Chapel Hill life with its organic grocery stores and top-rated schools and nearby piano lessons, play groups, soccer leagues, and public access pools for a move to some land and an old house out in the country?

You know, I think I would.

3 comments:

Joan said...

It's not that far away from all the busyness of the Triangle so it wouldn't be a giant leap. Just do your research on the schools. I don't know anything about the Alamnance county schools. I have wanted to go to the Farmer's Market in Saxapahaw. Good luck pondering your decision.

Anonymous said...

I would do it in a minute. Even though we already have a house and a few acres out in Chatham, I love the feel of Saxapahaw. We have talked about the possibility, but alas - the time just isn't now. Everytime we go to the Farmer's Market there, we both get reminded of how nice it would be to live in such a quaint, small community. If you can make it work, I say go for it - I'll definitely come visit!

Unknown said...

I had a house in the country, in the middle of 42 wooded acres, on a hill, and I LOVED LOVED LOVED it! Couldn't see or hear any neighbors. I had to sell it when I got divorced because it took SO long to mow, bush hog, keep up the horse fence, the dog fence, 40 minutes to drive one way to work, and my then husband was NEVER home cause he was in the Special Forces and was always out of the country.

If things were different, I would go back there in a heart beat, even with all the conveniences a town has to offer. And sometmes, little schools are just better.