Friday, June 01, 2007

Spring is over

For me it's over, that is. I don't know what the rest of you non-Southerners are experiencing weather-wise lately, but a couple of weeks here of 90 degrees, no clouds, and no rain means summer to me. I read somewhere once that some cultures regard the solstices and equinoxes as mid-season markers rather than season beginners. So this June 22nd would be mid-summer to some and not the start. Of course, those people probably don't live in places with summers quite this long, where the idea that September 22nd would be mid-fall is ludicrous...

Anyways, I'm tired and just babbling here. What really marks the end of spring for me is finally finishing up all the planting I'm willing to do til cold weather comes again. And of course, I'll be way too fat with child to be digging holes by then, so really it'll be more like next spring before I plant again. In the meantime, though, I've gotta get on the deadheading, and there's a fancy dogwood frying in way too much sun that I should probably move soon...

3 comments:

Mama D said...

I remember gardening while pregnant. Big belly between my knees, sweat pouring down my brow. Those were good times...

Angel said...

ya, but how GREAT is it that you'll be too big and pregnant to garden?!!!!

devilishsouthernbelle.net said...

Getting the same weather here. Congrats, I didn't know you were preggers!

I have a crepe myrtle that bloomed, then died with a late season frost, which needs to be deadheaded. But it's too tall!