BUT. I am having 2 good friends over for a dinner party planned weeks before I knew we'd be moving. They're bringing gin and sour mix so that we can get likkered up on gin fizzes, and I'm doing the cooking. Wanna know the menu? Sure you do.
- Devilled eggs and small sour pickles will be our little hors-d'oeuvres.
- Fried chicken, and I won't spare the bacon grease for frying it in. Vegetable oil is for sissies.
- Mashed potatoes (But you can forget about the gravy--it's just not going to happen this evening.)
- Corn on the cob with plenty of kosher salt and hot, melty butter dripping off it.
- Cucumber and onion salad with some tasty cherry tomatoes thrown in.
- Fresh buttermilk biscuits with butter and maybe some strawberry freezer jam I made Mother's Day weekend. My Gran always had jam on the table when she served biscuits, at any meal any time of day.
- And for dessert, get this--hot fudge brownie sundaes! I made the brownies this morning, plus some homemade hot fudge sauce I happen to have on hand 'cause Husband likes it, squirty whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, choppped, toasted pecans...awww yeah!