Friday, April 28, 2006

Yard sale sneak peak

Don't you think someone's yard sale is a sort of secret window into their little private world? Their aesthetic, the hobbies they discarded, what they think is valuable, that sort of thing? Wanna hear some of my dirty little secrets since y'all won't actually be here for my yard sale? Just a couple, mind you, since I'm in the throes of pricing and can only spare a minute.

Dirty secret #1: I opened an antique tin a little while ago that had a picture of a girl in Victorian dress walking a Pekingese on the front. Inside I found a long-dried hot pepper pod, a thumbtack, a little plastic bull that used to be attached to a cheap Spanish red wine I favored, and a wishbone. What kind of voodoo shit was that?

Dirty secret #2: I opened another tin out of the same attic box and found it still full of biscotti. That we'd bought in Venice on a trip, like, 4 years ago or something. I think I thought it would be interesting to hold onto them for someone to discover someday. Now? Ewwwwww!

Dirty secret #3: We are offering for sale no less than 42 wineglasses tomorrow! And 8 martini glasses! This is doubly shocking when I tell you that I'm only selling them because we have plenty more where that came from. These are just cabinet-clogging overflow. Drink much? Not as much as us, I bet.

That's all for now. Wish me luck with the crazies tomorrow!

8 comments:

Stacie said...

Good luck and make lots of money! I just got home from our town-wide garage sales. It is raining, but that doesn't keep us hard core junkophiles home!

Dawn said...

It's funny that you say this about the plethora of wine glasses. we also have more wine and matini glasses than we could ever Use. Apparently we think we will be catering all alcohol parties in the near future?

Hope it went well!!!

devilishsouthernbelle.net said...

That's so fascinating! I have tons of wineglasses, too, and that's after getting rid of a lot of them. I'm a TOTAL dish freak! I found yet another dinnerware pattern that I'd love to have, but I am sure the hubby won't let me indulge this unnecessary whim.

Hope the yard sale is a huge success!

Erin said...

You had me laughing at the "voodoo shit" comment. I am so like that, it isn't funny!

Good luck! I hope all those wine glasses go! Geesh you lush! ;P

Mall Worker said...

I hope the sale goes well! I too have the overflow of bar type glasses and accesories. I only discovered them when we moved! There I was drinking my drinks out of ordinarly glasses like a sucker!

Amber said...

I hope it went well!

I started a food column today. New recipes every Monday. So stop on by! (how is that for shameless begging?)

Mama D said...

When we moved into our house we found two large jars full of pennies that the previous owners left behind. I think I rolled about $7 worth and then quit and there are still tons of them left. This doesn't really have anything to do with your yard sale. I just thought it was a cool story.

Jess Riley said...

I love yard sales because you're right, it really IS a sneak peek into someone else's life! :) Hope your sale goes well; I am in awe at the sheer volume of wine glasses in your possession. At my house, they just get broken. LOL